Wednesday 30 January 2019

Some Borrowdale Synge's

The was some doubt as I left home this morning with barely a scattering of snow on the car as to whether I would be able to get over Dunmail Raise due to snow according to the radio. True enough the road was well covered when I got there, just passable...in fact the snowplough was just coming over the top of the pass. Once parked in near Grange in Borrowdale, (where the was much less snow) I headed through the village to start the steep climb to Nitting Haws.
As usual here's a few photos from the day....

This is a favourite path of mine, although steep it seems to gain height quickly and provides amazing views

Like this one back towards Derwentwater, a snow shower passing over Walla Crag & Bleaberry Fell

The path crosses below the dark crag. I stopped here got the axe out and put my Microspikes on

The summit of Nitting Haws, first of today's Synge's. Helvellyn is in the distance.

Another view of the summit rocks of Nitting Haws, Stonethwaite snaking away into the distance.

The snow covered rocks on the top of Low Scawdel looking North.
Skiddaw and Blencathra hanging onto low cloud.

A direct line to my next Synge was out of the question, so I headed upwards to the High Spy ridge.
This proved to be very hard work!! Here looking back to the sunlight on Low Scawdel, it took me 45mins to reach this point as I broke trail through the now very deep drifted snow overlaying deep heather...Oh joy :-(

Cloud was skimming the top of Dale Head, but in the distance the sun was catching Base Brown.

Having floundered down to the col, I picked up the fence which leads unerringly to this point...the summit of High Scawdel. This was my last summit of the day.

I turned to retrace my route beside the fence.

A winter wonderland!

I left the fence and walked down beside Rigghead Quarries, the snow thinned out as I descended.

I crossed Tongue Gill on the bridleway which would lead me back to Grange.

Stopping briefly to take this picture below Castle Crag.
Another great day, I enjoyed today in spite of the flogging through deep snow and vegetation!!

2 comments:

  1. Quite a while since I was up there. Guess what, it poured down all day and I remember drying out in the cafe in Grange. With luck we will be in the area (Lorton) next week. So make sure you have your wellies handy. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm polishing my brolly, waxing my wellies and ordering webbed feet as I type!! :-))
      Hope the good spell of weather continues for your trip Alan.
      It's been another cracker today...back at work tomorrow sadly.

      Delete