Monday 18 May 2015

TGO Challenge 2015 Day 1 Fri 8th May

Inverie to Sourlies  18.3km - 1099m ascent - 1099m descent

Well of course I started from Mallaig, but along with many other challengers I took the ferry to Inverie to actually start walking. This would be my second TGO Challenge and I was interested to see how it compared to last years. I had planned what my vetter described as a bold and adventurous route and was looking forward to 12 days trekking across the Scottish Highlands.
So on with the walk, a warning the post will be picture heavy :-))


Almost time to set sail and the Challengers are gathering!

As we turned into Loch Nevis Eigg and Rum looked like they were floating under the cloudless sky 

Anticipation grew as the Knoydart peaks started to come into view.

We've landed and the walking can begin! Although a lot of challengers made a beeline for the cafe! Laggards!!

From the lower reaches of Gleann an Dubh Lochain it was still possible to see back to the "Small Isles" beyond Loch Nevis

I left the Barrisdale track and headed off up Gleann Meadail, the bridge below Torr an Tuirc had recently been renewed.. The stalkers path snaked away towards the col.

Once at the Mam Meadail I could see further into Knoydart. Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Choich Mhor, two of the hills I intended to climb  next day. But first I had what looked to be the very steep climb to Meall Buidhe towering above the Mam Meadail.  

This is the view down Gleann Meadail  from just above the col, just as I was starting the ascent of Meall Buidhe

After a bit of huffing and puffing and grasping of grass! I arrived on the Munro top. The summit of Meall Buidhe just a sort way to the West.

Ladhar Bheinn was very prominent across Gleann an Dubh Lochain. Beyond is Skye and the Cullin Hills

Whilst turning round to look back along the short ridge to the "Rough Bounds", and hills as far as I could see!

I was soon back at the col, the zig-zag stalkers path made for a pleasant descent to the ruins at Carnoch. Haunted I believe?

Just below the ruins is the suspension bridge...swings a bit, but it'll last a while yet I'd say.

The flat ground between the bridge and the sea if bog supreme! IMHO there is no chance on this earth that you'll keep your feet dry across there in trail shoes. I walked the last few hundred meters on the sand, luckily the tide was out otherwise a detour over the headland is required.

Finally arriving at Soulies, the bothy is in a wonderful situation and is maintained by the MBA.
No one slept in the bothy although there were 6 tents outside, I thought there would be many more having seen how many folk got off the boat.
A great first day, in superb weather.

2 comments:

  1. A great first day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, yes certainly was. The combination of mountains and sea on the West Coast of Scotland is always great.

      Delete