Thursday 2 July 2020

Half the Year Gone Already!

 Almost 3 weeks since my last post. It seems like I have less time than ever....and yet all the time in the world! But with half the year gone past in a flash, it's time to update the blog to the end of June. once more the selection of images (and dates) below is a bit random...but then so are my "doings"....variety is after all the spice of life.

June 12th, an overcast day, windy but it did manage to stay dry. I walked up the Dubbs Road to climb a couple of easy Wainwrights...the closest to home. This is taken from just below the summit of the first Sour Howes. I had lunch here with almost the full length of Windermere in view. 

It's a broad hummocky "ridge" to it's neighbour Sallows. the summit is the highpoint in this image.


14th June, I had a day out on the motorbike over to some of the best bike roads in the UK.
As well as the superb roads, in many places off the beaten track the verges were covered with Mountain Pansy's....

...plenty of Orchids as well....Marsh Orchids? Please let me know if you can identify them correctly!

My Honda NC700X on the "Irish Ford" over the Harwood Beck in Upper Teesdale.

June 17th, I was back on the 2000' trail, and an early start to climb Place Fell from Bridge End in Patterdale. The early start (for me) was partly to avoid the expected intense heat of the day and also the forecast thunderstorms due to appear around noon. Here we look into the lower reaches of Deepdale.


Looking Northeast from the summit of Place Fell the sizeable "dub" of water completely dried up after our hot and arid Spring.

Place Fell trig, the eastern Fells in the hazy distance.
I did miss the thunderstorms..the first drops just arriving as I got back to the car.

June 22nd, a walk round the coast at Arnside. This twisted Oak caught my eye.

Back in time! to 11th June, a walk from Cartmel (lovely and quiet) with P.

June 13th, an easy day out in the MX5. Mungrisedale and Mosedale...sadly there were lots of barbeque scars and firepits...appalling.

June 20th, another day out in the MX5 over to the Pennines. Again great driving roads, generally quiet and so much to see...the above was new to me. This is only a small part! All built by one man (an ex-miner)in his garden. All proceeds to the Great North Air Ambulance a truly worthy cause.
It's in Nenthead and is a little off the main drag, if any one would like a grid ref to see it please let me know.

June 24th, another day on the motorbike...walking would have been madness in the heat!
Over Wrynose and Hardknott to Saltcoats on the Esk estuary. Ravenglass is the village across the water.

The River Mite and the railway viaduct.

This image of our favourite Ospey on it's nest is a little bit fuzzy!! It was taken on my mobile phone through a spotting scope. We've spent a lot of time watching the progress of this family. they seem to be doing well so far.

30th June and half the year gone. My mission to climb all the 2000' Wainwights has been severely derailed by Covid 19. But today I set out on what was to be an almost 1005 wet walk over Kentmere Pike seen above....

....Harter Fell above. I returned to the car, parked near Stile End via Nan Bield
Only 2 people were seen...hardly surprising given the appalling weather. Good to be out though.

It had been dry at home, so I took the Elan to the coast (unusually using it's road wheels or a change). I have got plenty of cycling in over the last 3 weeks or so, and am comfortably ahead of my self imposed target for the year. I shall be putting more of my physical efforts into the 2000'ers over the next few months....hopefully covered with associated blog posts for those who may be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment