Saturday 11 July 2020

An Overnite Camp from Bridge End in Patterdale

Back on my quest to visit all the 2000' Wainwright Summits in 12 months, yesterday I parked at Bridge End in Patterdale and left the car about 4pm. It was also the first chance I'd had to use my new-to-me Tramplite shelter. I could have done these remaining hills from Martindale, and it would probably have been an easier route as well! As is the custom on this blog we'll walk by photos...


Off across the valley and up the well trodden path to Boardale Hause. Not one of my favourites...I'll leave it be for a bit! There was an image shared on social media recently of rubbish left at Angletarn...inc a suitcase full of clothes!! amongst other stuff...you have to wonder what was going through their mind a they toiled up here with all that tat! 

Looking back across Dubhow Crag to Sheffield Pike and the Dodds. Shortly after this I met the last people I saw until at Side Farm this morning.

I expected to see a few tents here at Angletarn but there was only 1..its there for the eagle eyed.

On towards Satura Crag, the first target of the day directly above the gateway Rest Dodd.

One of the lesser visited summits I'd say. Rest Dodd is a little bit off the main paths. A great view to the North, a little bit of Ullswater in the distance.

There's a fair bit of descent and re-ascent to The Knott...the boggy ground between the two meant the end of my dry feet as well. High Street (on the right) looked a lot more inviting in the evening sun than it had on Thursday. 

Rampsgill Head was next, it didn't take long. I took a beeline from the Knott "helped" by a savage wind. this is the view South dominated by High Street (on the right) and Harter Fell (on the left)

There was no hanging about, I jogged across to Kidsty Pike. The sun had disappeared for a while and the temperature had dropped...out came the windshirt.
The weather to the East looks better!

Next it was over to High Raise, you get some easy summits for your effort once your up here.
Again looking east to the higher summits of the Northern Pennines.
My original plan (such as it was) had been to camp up here. The wind was a lot stronger than the forecast, so I pushed on...I still had lots of daylight. 

If my feet were'nt wet before, they certainly were by the time I arrived here on Wether Hill.
 Is this the top? it's as close as makes any difference...any stones to make a cairn up here have no doubt sunk into the morass. 

Last of the hills to be climbed on my notional list in the Far Eastern Fells, Loadpot Hill. Conditions up here were slightly better. High raise in the distance still had the sun on it.
Decision time, it was 8pm, still 2 hours of usable daylight...I could head Northish and camp on Bonscale Pike, or back and down beside Groove Gill to camp in the top of Fusedale.
I headed for Fusedale.

I found a half decent spot, adjacent to the old shepherd huts. The Tramplite shelter looks quite well pitched in this image (not bad for a first attempt)...but the ground was tussocky so it was never going to be the best. 

I slept well, no wonder I'd been out on the bike yesterday morning before the walking in the afternoon. The Tramplite is superb, I didn't use the additional storm guys and there were certainly some strong gusts during the night. of course the wind had dropped this morning and the midges were out in force.

All packed up and underway for 6am  #leavenotrace...you can't tell but my suitcase is actually inside my pack! 😉

Down the contouring path under Brownthwaite Crag. The early light just catching The Nab and the head of Bannerdale.

From Matindale I picked up the shore path back towards Patterdale. The sun only briefly made an appearance as here on the other side of the lake at Glencoynedale. Its a while since I've been on the shore path....quite a bit of up and down! 

Almost at Patterdale, a good view of St Sunday Crag.

I walked on through Rooking, Crookabeck and Beckstones, then back across the valley to the car.
A great little trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment