Tuesday 27 December 2011

Byways by Bike

Dollywood Lane
A rather dull and damp day today gave me a chance to catch up on a few jobs. However by 2pm things were looking a bit drier, and with daylight at a premium  I ventured out on the rough-stuff bike to ride a few lanes locally. I left Holme by Old Lane picking up Hangbridge Lane and after crossing the A6 rode through Beetham. The short climb to Slackhead and after a few hundred metres I took to the byway of Dollywood Lane, everywhere is very wet but this lane has a good stoney surface. The end of the lane brings you to Hazelslack Farm and its adjacent old tower, I turned right along the lane to Storth. For a change I branched off on the back road from Sandside past the huge renovated limekilns, onwards across the Milnthorpe Marsh, the dykes all full trying to drain the fields. Back across the A6 to ride up Grieveson Lane, another byway. This would have been better ridden down, it was very muddy, a lot of pushing was required! Breathing returned to normal once on the tarmac at Mabbin Hall, the rest of the ride was on quiet lanes. I made a detour on the way back via Nook and Farleton, the rain had held off for the hour and half I was out, the fresh air is always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment