Sunday 12 February 2017

A Whitbarrow Wander

Hell of a wild morning here in the South Lakes, and with snow forecast for Eastern areas I did a few jobs before lunch. After a bit of thought I remembered I hadn't been up Whitbarrow for a while. Its fairly handy just 7 miles from home as the crow flies. So off I went, and parked opposite the Lyth Valley Hotel.

I climbed up to the byway which contours round the North end of Whitbarrow Scar. Pausing here to look North beyond Crosthwaite to the hills of the Kentmere Horseshoe.

Heading South on the broad ridge of the scar the landscape was very grey today...the only colour in the detail like these lichens on the broken limestone.

Crossing from the open scar onto the Cumbria Wildlife Trust reserve....populated at the moment by some hardy hill cattle. Although they were sheltering between the Birch trees

Over to the east the Howgills and Shap Fells were cloaked in cloud.

The summit of Whitbarrow, Lords Seat. The Kent estuary and the rest of Morecambe Bay away to the South. It was a bit nippy to linger long so I turned and descended through Township Plantation and into the hamlet of The Row.

Catkins in the plantation...Spring round the corner?

But there are still snowdrops about,...I doubt we're finished with Winter yet!
 s

No comments:

Post a Comment