Sunday 10 April 2016

Thack Moor and Black Fell

A North Pennine walk today, I was out on my own and headed for Renwick. This little village nestles under the Pennines just Northwest of Hartside Pass. Lots of pictures.....sorry!

There's a good track to lead you up to the open fell. Behind the Lakes fells filled the skyline.

This track leads unerringly to just before the final rise to Thack Moor, which can be seen in the distance in this photo.

As far as I can tell this track was built to give access to this small coal pit. Although there are some small quarries and a n odd limekiln lower down the fell.

The spoil tip, now long grassed over provides a good vantage point to look over the Eden valley.

Just a short way from the old coal pit and I arrived at the trig point of Thack Moor....This is a relatively recently promoted 2000' top. The main reason for my visit!

Now I thought I'd have these hills to myself....but I was surprised to find perhaps 25 people having their lunch against the wall. It turned out they were members of the  "Dumfries Ramblers" club.
My final hill for the day is in the middle distance Black Fell.

Not far along the broad ridge is this well built sheepfold, it would provide a very sheltered camp/bivi spot....you'd have to carry water mind.....

....Unless you were to wring it out of your shoes! this is pretty much what conditions were like underfoot along the ridge :-)

Before I got to Black Fell I crossed Watch Hill the large cairn has a sandstone block with a weathered name carved on it.

In the last dip before Black Fell is this once grand sheepfold, it even had a little hut complete with fireplace. No doubt a fire would have been welcome working up here in all weathers.

Black Fell, with Cross Fell in the distance above the trig. The overnight snow almost all gone in the warm sun. I was unsure if I'd visited here in the past, I still am! I normally have an excellent memory regarding ascents! Anyway I've been there now:-)

From Black Fell it was down across Green Band heading for the waterfalls of Longtongue Beck. 

Not the most impressive, there is a larger single drop just below here. I wouldn't however make a special visit just to see it though.

In a side beck, Great Stockdale Beck I think was this old lead mine level. Very low, only about 80cm! Lord knows how you would have worked such a mine?

A short climb out of the gill and I reached this track which contours across Green Rigg. It eventually joins the outward route and led back down to Renwick.
A great days weather.
I really need to check out how many Nuttalls I've got left!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that Al.
    :-)
    I'm off up that way in a couple of weeks for our annual PreWalkDaunder leg-stretch.
    Have a chat with the Pieman about the mines - he probably has the answers.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it Alan. it was a tame trip compared to your Dartmoor adventure... No wild animals...other than an odd rabbit or two. Oh and the Dumfries Ramblers!!
    It's a great area for striding out...best done with webbed feet:-)
    Enjoy the daunder,I hope the weather is kind to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting area. I enjoy having a good mooch in some of the old workings you come across. Never been up that area though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great isn't it Alan, other than the walking party I just had the company of Skylarks, Snipe and Curlew. The old mine workings are of particular interest to me, ever since a school geology trip when I was 11! 47 years ago, Oh dear!!
      I'd promised myself a trip to the coal pits on the flanks of Thack Moor for a while. It's elevation to a 2000'er reminded me, lists are handy aren't they.

      Delete