Sunday 6 March 2011

Cycle Ride to Pilling


An absolutely beautiful day the sky hasn't had a cloud in it all day. After my efforts recently at bagging Marilyns I felt like a change today. I set off with a very loose plan to head south! how loose is that! My eventual route took me on minor lanes close to the Lancaster Canal, before climbing up and over to the Lune valley via Over Kellet. After crossing the Lune I rode through to Quernmore and onto Bay Horse, Cockerham and decided that Winmarleigh should be my turning point. Lanes to the west brought me to Stake Pool and Pilling, the terrain in these parts is flat as a pancake. This sounds great for cycling, but what it really means is you get no downhills for a rest.
All homeward bound from this point, the Bowland hills in front of me as the road follows the coast, Glasson is always worth a visit with boats of all shapes and sizes. The Lune Cycleway, built on the old railway was busy with both walkers, dogs and cyclists, soon I was crossing the River Lune on the Millennium Bridge. A bit of housing estate and the canal towpath gave me a traffic free route past the built up bits. This just left a few miles of quiet lanes to reach home, almost 60 miles most of them "easy".

No comments:

Post a Comment