Wednesday 18 September 2013

Blencathra via Sharp and Hallsfell Ridges

Well and improvement in the weather this morning had me parked under Blencathra at Scales. The cloud was just on the summit as I arrived, I hoped it would lift and clear as the day progressed.
The metalled road from Scales almost arched over with trees, hopefully they'll soon be turning colour.

The path cutting across the back wall of Mousthwaite Comb.

Almost at the col, and looking back towards Clough Head across the valley.

From the col Sharp Edge comes into view. I couldn't see anyone on the path and thought I might have the ridge to myself...but this wasn't the case.

Lots of water in the stream which drains Scales Tarn.

I had a bite to eat beside the tarn, I knew there wouldn't be much shelter for a while.

As I gained the ridge the hills to the North were revealed, Carrock Fell in the distance.

The scrambling starts here, I kept as close to the crest of the ridge as possible, it didn't seem as windy as I though it might have been.

Leaving Scales Tarn behind as height is gained.

Fortunately I had passed a couple of guys, so I had  some human models!

A bit further on Sharp Edge, with the Eden valley beyond.

As I left Sharp Edge and walked across towards the summit, I took the oppertunity to catch this view of the ridge from the crags above Scales Tarn.

Looking South from the summit of Blencathra, with the sun on Thirlmere and St.Johns. To the Northwest the cloud was massing and the rain started just as I started to descend Hallsfell ridge.

Just enough time to catch Gate Gill Top and Derwentwater.

"The most direct way to the summit of a mountain in Lakeland" this is how Wainwright described Hallsfell ridge.

looking back up Hallsfell ridge from about halfway, its a great way up (or down)

At about this point the rain really came on for about 15minutes, just enough with the strong wind to give me a good soaking! Once it stopped the breeze soon dried me out again!

The foot of Gate Gill and the remains of the old lead mines. All that remained was to walk down to the old A66, which I followed to the new A66 the back to the car.
I'm not sure, but I don't think I've been up Blencathra since I completed the Wainwights for the 7th time almost 10 years ago.....it's been to long. I'll try not to leave it another 10 years!

2 comments:

  1. Ta, Al

    Enjoyed that from the comfort of my settee. A wonderful airy day out
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Alan...a good job I got out today cos tomorrows forecast looks grim indeed!

    ReplyDelete