Sunday 27 January 2019

Unclimbed Synge's East of Coniston Water

A wild, windy day today...there would be no pleasure in being up high. Although my current task is leading me to lower tops. My targets today were 2 Synges between Coniston Water and Grizedale Forest. This is an area which is very familiar to me, however I have generally been on 2 wheels of one type or another. I had been very close to both of today's tops, but never visited the actual summits.

As I parked at Dodgson Wood car park on the East side of Coniston Water the wind was whipping across the lake. The view of the Coniston Fells would be ever present during the walk...no bad thing at all!

The permissive path gains height easily...I don't think I've ever been on it before...and once clear of the deciduous woodland the views opened up.

Low Parkamoor, a sign calls it "The Cottage In The Clouds". You'll need to walk or cycle to visit/stay here, no access even for a 4x4..to the door anyway.

Following the bridleway North brings you to within 200m of The Park, seen here at the far right of the image. I have been here countless times over the years...so close yet so far!

This is the view from the summit looking West, this photo doesn't show the intensity of the wind. i had to kneel down to try and steady the camera.


Having retraced my route to just South of Low Parkamoor I headed across the moor then South to reach here Heel Toe Hill! Why is it called that I wonder? This was my second Synge of the day it's actually not far from the Wainwright Outlyer, Top O' Selside.
Black Combe is prominent in the distance.

It was incredibly wild on the top, so it was good to descend back the way I'd walked earlier.
the park is in the middle distance to the left of the conifers in this image.

Once on the bridleway it was back to the car by my outward route.
These Catkins caught my eye..Spring must be on the way, although it didn't feel it today.
A relatively short and easy walk but satisfying to tick a couple more hills off.

No comments:

Post a Comment