Sunday 20 January 2019

A Few More Synge's...Central Fells This Time

After some indecision on my part I had a bit of a late start this morning. I parked opposite Causeway Foot Farm in the Naddle valley, taking my life in my hands as I walked south along the A591. My plan was to walk a loop round 3 Synge's (4 actually but I'd done 1 many times!). I survived the traffic and took the footpath which contoured above Brackenrigg and Shoulthwaite Farm, the walk beside Shoulthwaite Beck is lovely. This valley deserves to be better known really.
As usual there follows photos of the day.....

Looking back down Shoulthwaite Gill towards the Naddle valley

Once I reached Mere Gill I climbed out of Shoulthwaite Gill, rather steep...gave me a chance to look back East to Castle Crag hillfort and Benn cloaked in conifers.

Once the angle eased the hard going commenced.
I contemplated...Would I remain dryshod?...Would I retain my Sanity?
Nahh...That's long been Lost!!

Here on the fist of today's Synge's "Bleaberry Fell South East Top", the sun made a brief appearance. Bleaberry Fell is in the background.

From the same point looking Northeast..ish, Blencathra and Clough Head in the background
 High Rigg down below.


To get to my next unclimbed hill I really had to visit Bleaberry Fell, no great hardship. The Synge I'd climbed earlier is the high point to the left of the cairn.

The next hill on the agenda Dodd Crag seen here in the centre of the image.

The view from the "top" of Dodd Crag, sadly the sun had disappeared. From here it looked a fair way to Pike, my last hill for the day.

A couple of walls to surmount to get here on the top of Pike. This didn't look of feel like the high point, but the info said a bolt in a rock...and there it is..in the centre of this photo.
The weather was closing in as I descended towards Castlerigg, the rain started as I walked across the fields to the A591. Back along the road to the car, 3 more ticks on the list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment