Thursday 27 April 2017

South of Wet Sleddale

This morning saw me picking up Bill in Kendal before driving over Shap fell on the A6 to Wet Sleddale. We parked beside the dam, our targets for the day the low hills round Wasdale Pike. Like last weeks walk I've walked these fells once before, but in poor weather and almost nil visability! Bill had never been on them, and with a good day forecast off we went.....

Up beside Poorhag Gill where we picked up the path shown on the map, here bill is looking for Felspars in the Shap Granite.

A bit further up is the Lunch House, to early for us though and it was all locked up.

Next on the agenda was the significant boulder of "Grey Bull"

It wasn't far from Grey Bull to the top of Sleddale Pike, with an excellent view back to the reservoir.

It was a bit wet as we headed for the main ridge.

Here on Wasdale Pike we had lunch with the Howgill Fells to the South East

There was a thread of a path as we walked over to Great Saddle Crag

Bill on one of the many "Tops" hereabouts

It was a fair trek across rough trackless ground to reach Ullthwaite Rigg.
The reservoir and the car seemed along way off from here

At last we reached the bridleway and the going underfoot improved 

We had a quick look at Sleddale Hall, made famous in the film "Withnail and I"

From the Hall it was down to the valley floor and back to the car.
These twisted Silver Birches caught my eye in the evening light.

2 comments:

  1. Your certainly giving that area a bit of a bashing at the moment, but why not, it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have haven't I! :-)
      Strange that I haven't walked this area more over the years, they are plain hills but peaceful.
      I'm glad I've gone back and given them a fair go in good weather.
      I've been lucky enough to live close to the Lakes all my life....but have probably concentrated rather to much on the main Lakes hills.
      Wow...where did that come from!!

      Delete