Sunday 9 April 2017

North Through The Pennines to Hexham On the Honda

The weather was set fair so today I had a full day on the motorbike through some of my favourite areas....

Across to Ingleton and over  to Hawes, with a quick stop to admire Ribblehead Viaduct

Then over the Buttertubs into Swaledale, I always like to stop here at Wain Wath Force, ot much water in the besk today though.

The long gradual climb up West Stonesdale brings you to Tan Hill....


...behind the pub on some of the outcrops are carvings. Many of them listing the landlords/residents of the Tan Hill over the years. 

Through Barnard Castle, Stanhope and over Crawleyside to Blanchland. Where lunch was taken.

Hexham Abbey. It's ages since I actually walked round Hexham, I had forgotten how nice it is!

Then it was time to wend my way back home, Firstly West to Allendale, then up onto the moors I love the wide open spaces and quiet roads in this area.
Sorry gratuitous motorbike picture!

I stopped at Carrsheild and had a good look round the old mine workings. Between the wind, rain and the beck their slowly but surely being destroyed :-(

Its not far from Carrsheild to Nent Head, where again I had a look round the lead mines adjacent to the main car park. This is the entrance to Caplecleugh Level I think! But what is the galvanised arrangement inside the portal, they have an electrical connection!

Over Hartside, where the weather had taken a turn for the worse. It was freezing!!
Down Hartside into the Eden valley, before a climb over Orton Scar and back home.
Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment