Tuesday 31 March 2020

Even More Solo Social Distance Walks 008/009/010

The dry weather continues....but then it would, wouldn't it! so as long as we're permitted I shall take my exercise each day. I've seen even less people over these 3 walks. Not particularly because they have been at different times or on rarely used paths, but I think the novelty of local walking has maybe worn off?
As before I hope the photos aren't becoming repetitive....

Lancaster Canal Bridges...152, 151 and in the distance 150.

After a bit of South bound canal I set off across Holme Moss with Holme Beck for company.

I passed Broomfield and Hale Green, then walked beside the A6 for a few hundred metres.
Having carried out a quick risk assessment I decided I would be OK. In fact I didn't see any traffic at all, and this was early Sunday afternoon...people are heeding the Gov advice. 

It was back across the Mosses here crossing one of the many dykes that drain the area. A few weeks ago I would have needed waders on this path.

A different view of Farleton Knott. I walked back through the village back home. Not a soul was seen, I almost felt guilty being out.....

Monday afternoon and I headed East...only this is looking back South to home!
Bridge 153!

As I crossed Holme Park Fell I noticed the Catkins were starting to "go over"

There were a few Belties out, they seem to live on next to nothing.

A lone tree...everyone loves a lone tree. this one is a Hawthorn.

I took this shot from the high point of the bridleway....Ingleborough. 

I turned and walked down Piper's Lane, not much of note.
These Primroses brightened the hedgerow though.

Leaving Piper's Lane I took the footpath which leads onto Farleton Fell Nature Reserve.
The scene in this image is one of devastation...the water worn limestone torn off for sale as rockery stone, gate stoops and ornate walling. Thankfully this has been stopped from all of the areas where this took place in Cumbria and North Lancashire as far as I'm aware. 

This is an area which has escaped...only 70 years ago it would have all looked like this.
Across the A6070 and back along the canal to home.

South along the canal this afternoon and once across the A6070, I took the footpath through the parkland of Curwen Woods. The Daffodils were in full bloom..as you can see.
The path brought me out on the lower part of Piper's Lane, then through Clawthorpe Hall, back across the main road and onto New Mill Lane. Under the Canal via the aquaduct and onto the towpath.

A pair of Mute Swans have built the nest on the opposite bank...away from folk and dogs.
Hopefully they are successful in raising a family.

The towpath gives a surprising but excellent view of the Lakeland Fells.
to the left Coniston old Man stretching to Bowfell on the right....

....the Fairfield Horseshoe, Red Screes on the right. Click on these images for more detail of course...if you do you'll see Dollywagon Pike in the distance still wearing a necklace of snow.

In a more Northerly direction, The Kentmere Horseshoe. Ill Bell is the prominent hill on the left, High Street in the centre with the snow patches.
These images were taken handheld using a micro four/thirds camera and a 300mm equiv. lens
I'm incredibly lucky, during the lockdown conditions being able to access such wonderful country from my doorstep....and with views of the Lakes Hills albeit at a distance as well. 

More off road on these 3 walks so footwear of choice was either Inov8 Rocklite 295's or....

Asics Fuji Gel Trainer...great in the dry...lethal in the wet!
Well done if you've got this far, I'm undecided as to whether I continue with the walking or get out on a bike or 2....either way there will be more posts and photo's
Tek Care & Stay Safe.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the novelty of local walks wearing off. Just over a week ago I encountered on one of our local lanes more people in a single outing than I had seen cumulatively in all my previous passages along that road. This morning it was still busy compared to how it used to be (when I never used to encounter anyone along there), but with one runner and two walkers was a notable reduction on a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to see if anyone ventures out once it rains. So far it's been dry for us during the "lockdown". Which looking at the forecast will be in the next couple of days.
      Tek care!
      Alistair

      Delete