Thursday 14 March 2019

Finishing the Central Fells Synges

I didn't expect to be back so soon...I was only free at the last minute, so headed back to Borrowdale and parked below Grange Crags. Then weather was like a carbon copy of yesterday, although there was apromise of a better afternoon. I walked along the road to High Lodore then took the path which zig-zags up behind the farm. My first Synge was Brown Dodd, it was the usual thrash through bog, dead bracken and heather...here's a few photos to give a taste of the day.

As I gained height the views were opening up, and all around me were lots of Silver Birches

The Lakes has had a fair bit of rain recently, Derwentwater a good deal larger than normal!

The top of Brown Dodd, looking North across Derwentwater to the Skiddaw group wearing a cloak of cloud.

I thought the high point in this image was my next top...but it was a good bit beyond.
Isn't it always the way?

The top of Ether Knott...it's got a cairn! albeit a small one. It even had a sketchy path to the top from the South. Maybe because it's a good viewpoint for Watendlath and it's Tarn.

I descended to Watendlath in lashing rain, had a bite to eat under the best shelter I could find. I then headed down the valley, years since I'd been on this path...seems to have been improved from what I remember.

Down beside the roaring upper Lodore Falls

I'd made good time so stopped for a brew in a spell of sunshine amongst the Birches on Sheperds Crag

A good chance to take a telephoto shot of the footbridge over the River Derwent...boat or canoe needed for access today!
From Shepherds Crag I descended to the road and walked back along it to the car, getting caught in the heaviest shower of the day!
A great day though, I felt good after yesterdays headaches etc and another area of Synges completed only 5 left to go (inc Pillar Rock!)

Castlerigg Stone Circle
Nothing to do with today's wander but as I was leaving Keswick the weather had brightened up.
I guessed there wouldn't be many folk about (there wasn't) so I took a couple of photos

Another photo of the stone circle with Blencathra in the Background

Today's schoolboy error....not wearing my specs when picking my map out this morning!!
I actually hadn't realised until I got my food out at Watendlath, I'd kind of committed my route to memory before I left home....if the visibility had been poor of course.....

No comments:

Post a Comment