Wednesday 21 February 2018

The High Stile Ridge.....From Buttermere

Wonderful weather today, I'd seen the forecast and had planned to get back onto this ridge on the first fine day I was "free". Today was it!
A relatively early start (for me) saw me at Buttermere for 10am, things were looking promising.
Enough of this preamble and blather lets get to the pictures....a great day:-)

Its a bit of a drag up through Burtness Wood, it was good to emerge into the warmth of the morning sun. Pretty soon I was back in the shade of High Stile though.
Buttermere was as you can see like a milpond!

Over the lip of the corrie and the headwall behind Bleaberry Tarn reminded me of a Highland coire rather than the Lakes. Red Pike was looking.....Red!

Red Pike reflected in Bleaberry Tarn

The view looking Northwest from the summit of Red Pike. Crummock Water flanked by Grasmoor on the right and Melbreak on its left.

Northeast, again from Red Pike

Looking back towards Red Pike, Great Borne beyond from point 806 on High Stile. The two stretches of water are Ennerdale Lake on the left and Loweswater on the right. 


View of the day....well I thought anyway!
Looking down to Gatesgarth and Fleetwith Pike from above Grey Crag and Burtness Comb.

Looking back to High Stile from High Crag....beautiful.

Pillar, a real mountain....seen from the summit cairn of High Crag.
Looking into the sun unfortunately. 

The hills at the head of Ennerdale, the Scafell Group beyond from High Crag. 

I dropped down to Scarth Gap Pass via Seat.
 I was soon down beside the shore of Buttermere, I couldn't resist this pic of a Highland Coo with Fleetwith Pike in the background.
The cloud had built up a little, I felt as though I'd had the best of the day...A great day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment