Sunday 12 November 2017

Coniston Round...With A Variation Of An Oft Trod Trail

Cracking weather today, having parked in Coniston beside Church Beck off I went up the Coppermines road. There were one or two folk about, but once I left the main track I didn't see anyone until the top of Wetherlam. A bit picture heavy.....

Across to the Old Man and Brim Fell from the Red Dell track

Kennel Crag and incline ( my route onwards) from the Red Dell wheelpit.

South down the Erin Crag ridge, with Red Dell and the Coppermines valley. This ridge would be my route to the summit of Black Sails. The path such as it is, is very feint...its there in the foreground!

The summit of Black Sails, my guess is that not even 1in100 visitors to Wetherlam pop across to here.
The image doesn't convey the strength or indeed the temperature of the wind.

Then it was over to Wetherlam, with its light scattering of snow.

Back below Black Sails to Swirl Hause and then up Prison Band.
I stopped here for a spot of lunch, about the only sheltered place I found all day!

Only a short way to the summit of Great Carrs, great view to the Scafell group from here.

Having visited a couple of Synges on the way from Swirl How, I stopped to take in the 360 degree view from Brim Fell. 

Next stop Coniston Old Man, there's always a few pilgrims here!!
There were a lot more struggling up the "tourist path", fair play to them it was cold in the shade...they'd get an icy blast when the popped out on to the top though.

I'd made good time, but run out of practical hills! Then I saw "The Bell" in front of me. Its another Synge and its ages since I've visited its top, so trotted up and took this picture.
From here it was a gentle jog back to the car in the village.

As previously there's a Strava track here should you wish to see my route.

Today's and for the last couple of months or so footwear choice.
New Balance MT610GT4 Trail shoes Goretex lined, supremely comfortable...nice and warm for winter as well:-) The best bit was the price tho £40!! I bought 2 pairs thank goodness, discontinued of course so a review is of little use.

2 comments:

  1. Cracking picture of the snow & ice on Wetherlam.
    :-)
    A grand day out, Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly was Alan...blessed with the weather...

      Delete