Wednesday 14 June 2017

Stuc a Chroin

Today was the last day of my short trip to Scotland, and it stayed dry! I got packed pronto at the SYHA and drove over to Loch Earn. Taking the South Loch Earn road to Ardvorlich, and getting parked up and left by 8.30. The cloudbase was still low though. I was last here in March 1986! with my old mate Tim. We drove up from the Lakes just for the day and climbed Ben Vorlich but ran out of time and didn't get to Stuc a Chroin....we didn't get a view either and I remember there was a lot of snow about.
Hence the reason for todays visit, filling in another gap. Here's a few pictures of my day....

There's an excellent farm track which leads out onto the hill

While ahead the summit of Ben Vorlich was in the cloud. I decided to contour Coire Buidhe to the col rather than go over Ben Vorlich, if it had been clear I would have included it.

The path over to the col was much better than I had thought and helped me make good time.
As I skirted round to the bottom of Stuc a Chroin...I was being watched!

No view on Stuc a Chroin...so no summit views all trip! I felt chuffed I'd filled in the gap after 30 years though.

I glanced down to my shoes, and realised that the sole was coming off my right trail shoe!
They didn't owe me anything, but I would have preferred them to have failed at a more convenient time!

I returned the same way, the day was improving with the cloud starting to lift...as is so often the way!
I've enjoyed my few days, some more gaps filled in and summits bagged.

No comments:

Post a Comment