Wednesday 10 May 2017

Marilyn Bagging in the Southern Uplands Part 2

As I descended from Broad Law I was working out time available for the rest of the day...and the best use of it. I had no desire to drive further than needed. After checking the maps back at the car I decided on the group of 3 Marilyns near Broughton on the A701. So off I went, and parked at the convenient "Walkers Car Park" in the grounds of the rather grand Broughton Place.

It was gone 5pm by the time I'd sorted stuff out. I'd got my backpacking stuff with me and anticipated pitching somewhere on the round of these 3 hills.
Having taken good note of all the burns being almost dry, I packed 2 litres of water...water is heavy stuff in case you hadn't noticed. I always try to carry the bare minimum of the stuff!

The first part of my route followed some of the John Buchan Way....Although I thought I'd be walking more than "39 Steps"

At this point, just below Cowiemuir Hass I left the John Buchan Way and picked up the Northward trending ridge over Broomy Side, Green Law and beyond.

There is an excellent track/quad/path along the broad ridge.

The first of my evenings Marilyns, Broughton Heights. Looking back Southwards over Green Law.

As I walked round the head of Stobo Hope my next top, Penvalla looked along way off.

But after a lot of up and down and a fair bit of contouring I was on the top of Penvalla. It was time to start looking for a spot to pitch my shelter.

I passed the unoccupied Shepard's Cottage of Stobo Hopehead. Penvalla is in the background.

I found a good place on the col below Hammerhead, got the Deschutes tarp pitched and got organised and food on the go. It had been a wise move to carry water I hadn't seen any since about 200m from the car!

The was no sunrise to speak of, I packed up and headed up into the clag as I climbed up to the top of Hammerhead.

The ridge rolled along, eventually I reached my final Marilyn of the walk Trahenna Hill.  

As I dropped out of the mist I could see that the day was improving. Once again to think of the next hills for the trip....to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment