Thursday 30 June 2016

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Tuesday evening I had moved on from Glen Nevis SYHA to Saddle mountain Hostel in Invergarry. This moved me closer to the next batch of Munros I wanted to climb. It also had the added benefit of a decent nights sleep! No 3peaker pillocks here :-) The weather was forecast to improve as the day progressed, so a later start should pay benefits. However it was chucking it down when I arrived at the foot of the stalkers path below Gleouraich....and with no wind the midges were out in force.

Its a wonderful stalkers path which eases you up towards the summit....sadly it rained every step of the way.

This would be the last I'd see of Loch Cuaich for a while.

Another Munro, another mist shrouded summit. Gleouraich was not a place to linger today, The rain was still beating down, seemed like the forecasters had got it wrong.....

....But as I dropped down to the unnamed col, the rain stopped and the clouds started to break up from the Southwest.

The route onwards appeared in front of me, always a morale booster.

To the North the South Glen Shiel ridge....I walked that in the rain as well! Almost 30 years ago!

Northeast into Easter Glen Cuaich

Having climbed up from the col I was enjoying the views at last. At this point I thought I was going to get a clear summit.....

.....However Spidean Mialach had other ideas. Mist shrouded again, it wasn't raining though :-) 

As I lost height down the Southwest slopes things looked a lot better. Excellent views across Loch Cuaich to the Knoydart Hills, made the earlier toil in rain and mist all worthwhile

I picked up the stalkers path across Coire Mheil, and didn't quite make it back before a heavy shower passed through The path brought me down to the road just a couple of hundred metres from the car.
A really great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment