Monday 4 July 2016

A Couple of Affric Munros

After my efforts of the previous day on the edge of Knoydart, I'd in effect gained a day on my plans. Plan B was to walk/climb the Creag Meagaidh group....however the forecasts (yes I consulted several!) were speaking of thunder and of course lightening. So another plan was required....
Plan C? saw me driving round to Glen Affric from Invergarry, and parking adjacent to the Chisholm Bridge. It was raining as I left the car but very humid. I knew I'd spend the day cloud watching, keeping an eye and ears open for signs of any thunderstorms. On with the photos/walk




The old track round into the Fiadh glen has been "improved", there's a couple of hydro schemes going in. Although its at an early stage at the moment.

Beyond the new hydro track, the glen takes on a real wildness...and wetness. Its very wet underfoot! On a plus point the rain had stopped.

Once across the Allt Toll Easa, the path heads up through the heather gaining height quickly.

Its a really pleasant ridge along and up Creag na h-Inghinn. The view back along the glen opening up.... 

Whilst to the West the Carn Eighe group dominated the scene.

To the East was the my second Munro, Toll Creagach looked extremely exposed should lightening occur.

The summit of Tom a Choinnich, looking West, again to the Carn Eighe hills

From Tom a Choinnich,East to Toll Creagach. I didn't linger, crammed some more cereal bars in my hipbelt pockets and descended to Bealach Toll Easa.

There is a section of stalkers path as you start the descent, but it was covered by one of the laarge snowfields in the photo above. There was no difficulty in following the crest of the ridge though.

The path from the bealach to the summit of Toll Creagach is intermittent, easy ground does that! The hills North of Loch Mullardoch were impressive, good to see them in clear weather. It was cloudy and a bit wet when I backpacked over them in 2004. I can't believe its that long ago!

Again I didn't stop at the summit for long. A descent was basically a bee-line back to the Gleann nam Fiadh. I was surprised that I didn't come across a path, although the ground was fairly easy going...if rather wet.
A last look back up the glen before returning to the car the same way I walked earlier in the day.
So that was effectively the end of my week, I'd enjoyed it immensely, and hope anyone who's happened by has found something of interest here. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment