Tuesday 11 March 2014

Nordisk Telemark 1LW

Well with the TGO Challenge less than 2 months away, the outdoor bloggers are starting to post about their  gear choices. More importantly lots of these posts concern their choice of shelter.....seems the "Red Indian" look is very much in vogue. Lots of pyramids and tarps masquerading as doorless tents. Well I've never been one to follow the herd, I like to plough my own furrow so to speak. Bored yet? I'd better get to the point......

So I've bought a Nordisk Telemark 1LW, this cost the princely sum of £272.00 (from The Climbers Shop, Ambleside)
My first truly lightweight tent was a Hilleberg Akto, an excellent tent. Very storm worthy, mine was one of the early imports. I was very happy with the Akto, it weighed in at 1500g or so. Then along came Terra Nova with the Laser Lite, again I was an early adopter, after a few mods to lose a bit of weight it weighed in at approx 1050g.
The problem for me with the Laser Lite was disconnecting the inner from the outer....what a "ball ache".
Hence the purchase of the above!

Here the bell is seen it's a decent size, and the inner can be pulled back to increase the space for cooking undercover.

Another pic showing the depth of the bell, the separation between fly and inner seems plenty to me.

A good deep tub to the floor and plenty of width, the Inov8 pack is roughly the width of a Neoair. One of the comments I hear in favour of the Tepee type tents is the large amount of space, perhaps I don't carry enough stuff?!

A common complaint I read over and over is condensation problems with "Akto style" tents. I've had my share of condensation over the years, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Here we see the vent at ground level, there's another at the other end. We'll see how effective they are in use! 

There's a large stiffened cowl over the double ended zip, again to aid ventilation, something neither my early Akto or Laser Lite benefited from.

The pole is has a remarkably short pack length, only 4 pegs are supplied! at 10g each. The silver ones are mine from another tent. I may use different pegs I'll see how I get on.

The overall pack size is indeed very small, thats a .5 lit thermos. The bag contains inner, outer, pole and 6 pegs. The 830g isn't correct if the supplied pegs are used, it is possible if 6 Terra Nova carbon pegs are used tho', lots of folk don't like the carbon pegs but I really rate them. I'll more than likely use a combination of pegs.
So there we have it, this is just a first look, it'll get a couple of trips over the next month or so, I'll report back.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting choice. I looked at this one too but was (probably unnecessarily) worried about the very shallow slope of one side of the roof and its separation from the inner.

    It *is* very light though, isn't it?

    Good luck with your preparations, Sir.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I am one of those who has been using a teepee tent, an SL3 with an Oook inner. Yes, it is a big brute but thankfully light. My main reason is that I know it can stand up to harsh weather. My Laser Comp is up for sale. It does not sit taut and I am not happy with it in bad weather. The Nordisk Telemark is a tent I have my eye on, when funds allow. So I shall be looking to see how you get on with it. By the by, hearing of issues in regards to condensation, I contacted Nordisk; they assured me that as long as the tent was not pitched in long grass, ie, the end venting was allowed breathing space,all would be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan, I think I'm a good bit shorter than your good self! 5'8" on a good day, so I felt quite confident that the height wouldn't be to much of an issue. Backpacking Bob's review of the 2 person version helped in this respect to. (He's a tower of a man!) The separation seems excellent on first look.
    I couldn't find a review of this model on the net, so buying it was a leap of faith really.
    I'm looking forward to getting "out there" with it.

    By the way, as a TGOC guru should my preparations include practice quaffing of the magic nectar! ?
    Cheers
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arms is a vital aid to propulsion, Sir.
      Your body depends upon that arms being properly exercised.
      Each walk should start and finish at a pub.
      :-)

      Delete
    2. My arms is weak oh wise one...all that cycling see! I'll have to practice with some weights...I've ordered some bottles of J2o!! That should do the trick!

      Delete
  4. Hello Dawn, I to have thought seriously of a "Hex type" shelter. But the problem for me is that I don't always use trekking poles and prefer not to), and because of that I've discounted them.
    Lots of space is nice I know, but I like a smaller cosy tent, good job we're not all the same!
    I think in long grass etc airflow will be reduced and therefore condensation will increase. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating!....ahhhhh did someone mention pudding?
    Thanks for your comments
    Cheers Alistair

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, especially the weight. I shall be taking my Scarp 1 on the Challenge after the Akto in 2013. So whilst I will be 150 gr lighter than last year it's still a lot more than your new companion. Can't justify another purchase, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. Especially the price against a new Akto. I am still in 2 minds, Duomid or Moment. The Duomid has the edge at this minute simply because of the extra space and head height. But the Moment is a good tent. I have been in it in snow conditions so i have a little concern about the shallow angle coming off the hoop down to the foot section of the Nordisk. The North american Indian had generations to test tents and they settled for Teepee shape. It says something i think. Good luck with the crossing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David, the Scarp is definitely an excellent shelter. Very good in bad weather when the crosspoles are used I believe. Although the Telemark1 is very light...weight isn't everything! The ability to split inner from outer easily and quickly was a major consideration in my choice.
    Under 2 months now David!!
    Cheers
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Alan R, I was only joshing about the "Red Indian" look!! There are definitely plus points with the tepee shape...headroom for one. I'm only a la'l en tho! As I mention above I'm not a big fan of trekking poles, although I'll probably use them on the Challenge, so any shelter which rely's on them is out for me! I looked long and hard at the moment....specially now it can be bought with a partial solid inner.
    Have a great crossing, perhaps we'll "bump" into one another at some point.
    Cheers
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t use poles either. But if i take the Moment i think i will still take the 1 pole. I will use it for river crossings as or if required. At 200grams i think i can live with one.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you there Alan, very handy for river crossings. Thats the main reason I'll carry them.

      Delete