Tuesday 22 May 2012

France Cycle Tour: St-Pons-de-Thomieres to Capestang

Olargues
Roquebrun
Canal du Midi
Well it was raining again, so plan B has been put into action. My original plan was to cross the Pyrenees somewhere near Puigcerda, but without knowing how the weather would turnout my plan B was to head for the Mediterranean round-a-bout Narbonne. So suitably fortified with a good breakfast, I rode the Voie Verte(Cyclepath) to Olargues and S-Martin-sur-Orb. The rain didn't seem to matter on here, it was flat so no sweating, and the wind was behind me, great. The town of Olargues in particular looked very attractive, from the the end of the Voie Verte I followed the L'Orb river. This would have been a beautiful ride in different conditions, I shall have to go back! By the time I reached Roquebrun the sky was definitely brightening to the south, spurring me on. Finally at Cessenon-sur-Orb the rain stopped, and I could take my waterproofs off. It was no coincidence I had reached the coastal plain. Still windy though. My target for today was to cross the Canal du Midi, I did this at Capestang, and with a really good Municipal campsite I pitched my tent. After sorting stuff out and a shower I had a look round the town, the unusual church, and a walk beside the Canal du Midi. Things were looking a lot better compared to two nights ago. The site warden says" Soleil Domain", we'll see!
Capestang

No comments:

Post a Comment